loader  Loading... Please wait...

Question(s) / Instruction(s):

"1. Assume that, on average, 95% of all ticket holders show up for a flight. a. If a plane seats 200 people, how many tickets should be sold to make the chance of an overbooked flight as close as possible to 5%? b. If the cost of an empty seat is $600 for a flight and the cost of overbooking a seat is $1200 per flight, how many tickets should be sold to minimize expected costs? 2. Students take the GMAT whereas others take the GRE. In one population scores on the GMAT were N(550,100), whereas scores on the GRE were N(510,80). a. Who has the better score, a student with 610 on the GRE or a student with a 665 on the GMAT? b. Using alpha = .10, find probability interval for GMAT scores c. What percentile should be reported for a student who scores 645 on the GMAT?. 3. Suppose that a popular hotel for vacationers in Orlando, Florida, has a total of 300 identical rooms. Like many major airline companies, this hotel has adopted an overbooking policy in an effort to maximize the usage of its available lodging capacity. Assume that each potential hotel customer holding a room reservation, independently of other customers, cancels the reservation or simply does not show up at the hotel on a given night with probability 0.15. a. Find the largest number of room reservations that this hotel can book and still be at least 95% sure that everyone who shows up at the hotel will have a room on a given night. b. Given that the hotel books the number of reservations found in part a, find the probability that at least 90% of the available rooms will be occupied on a given night. c. Given that the hotel books the number of reservations found in answering part a, find the probability that at most 80% of the available rooms will be occupied on a given night. d. How does your answer to part a change as the required assurance rate increases from 95% to 97%? How does your answer to part a change as the required assurance rate increases from 95% to 99%? e. How does your answer to part a change as the cancellation rate varies between 5% and 25% (in increments of 5%)? Assume now that the required assurance rate is held fixed at 95%.

Find Similar Answers by Subject


Student Reviews

Rate and review your solution! (Please rate on a Scale of 1 - 5. Top Rating is 5.)


Expert's Answer
Download Solution:
$1.79

This solution includes:

  • Plain text
  • Cited sources when necessary
  • Attached file(s)
  • Solution Document(s)



Reach Us

408-538-8534

20-3582-4059

39-008-4233

+1-408-904-6494